Thursday 19 August 2010

Crafty Individuals interview

Artwork by Jean Hardy

Following on from our article yesterday, I had a chat with the lovely Jean from Crafty Individuals to find out more about the brains behind this successful stamp company.

1) Tell us a bit about yourself and your background.
"Malcolm has had over 25 years experience as a professional commercial photographer, and my background is mainly in fine art and crafting."

2) How did you come to set up Crafty Individuals?
"I have always been involved in crafting, drawing and painting, since being very small. I have tried out other paid occupations along the way, but art and craft is my main love, and nowadays the job I find I am at my happiest and most relaxed doing. Malcolm and I had a bricks and mortar art and craft materials shop some year ago, and it was during this time we started designing and then selling our own rubber stamps and other products."

3) What do you like best about running your own business and what do you like least?
"I like the freedom and personal fulfilment of having my own business doing something I love so much. I think the extremes of having too much to do, or occasionally too little to do, are the most stressful parts of running a business. And then of course there is the book-keeping side of it all – enough said!"

4) What do you enjoy creating and what are your favourite techniques to use?
"Rubber stamping is definitely my favourite type of crafting these days, and I love the buzz I get from designing and producing my own creations, and sharing skills learnt with others."

5) Which product(s) are your personal favourites and why?
"Our own products are my favourites of course, but I currently love to use die cuts and wooden blanks in my crafting, plus lovely paints and inks, interesting mediums and white tissue paper."
6) What aspects of teaching do you most enjoy?
"I enjoy the pleasure of sharing my skills with others and the immense pleasure they get from creating their own personal little work of art, using our stamps alongside other products."

7) What are your achievements both personally and professionally?
"I think that next to having my children, we would both feel that running Crafty Individuals is our most creative and enjoyable achievement to date."

To find out more:
Visit: www.craftyindividuals.co.uk
Email: info@craftyindividuals.co.uk
Telephone: 01642 789955
HEADS UP! Watch out for an article by Jean coming up in our Christmas (December) issue - it's a beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment